Indian Polity and governance in UPSC civil services examination is proved to be an important subject. From the analysis of past five year papers, one can easily find the weightage of polity and governance in UPSC Prelims is about 20 marks and in UPSC Mains General studies paper ll is 250 marks.
In Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Public Policy, Rights Issues, panchayati raj etc.” are undoubtedly the essential sections under Indian Polity and governance. Apart from these the new laws, governance issues, new supreme court judgements etc. should also be prepared.
- Check UPSC syllabus prelims and UPSC syllabus for mains
- Opt for good books and online coaching for UPSC
- Make notes
- Read newspaper for current affairs
- Revise the content for at least 3 times before appearing for IAS exam.
- Practice previous year paper of Indian polity for UPSC mains.
- Practice polity MCQ questions
- Practice answer writing after covering each topic.
How to implement this course of action
After completing the division of topics start working on the content based knowledge. For that
- Start with NCERT books. Try to complete those within 10 days.
- Side by side make notes. While making notes remember a few points.
- Prepare notes on A4 size blank sheets as it will make you habitual to write on such sheets. This will simplify your task while writing your UPSC mains examination.
- Leave margins on either sides of the page. So whenever you feel that there is a need to add any point. You can do it in those margins.
- Make fair notes in one go. don’t try to make notes again and again.
- Refer to one or two books (mentioned below) of polity for UPSC and prepare notes. Combining notes of these 1or 2 books with the NCERTs. Do not make notes again and again.
- Or Opt for the best pen-drive course by UPSCCONNECT as from there you will get whole syllabus coverage in comprehensive and well structured form.
- Revise through your self made notes made from videos
- Practise answer writing and previous year questions of UPSC related to the topic as soon as you complete it. It is the most important part and maximum people don’t play attention to it.
One can refer to these books to cover Indian Polity for UPSC
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examination by M. Laxmikanth is a great book 5o prepare polity for upsc.
- Our Parliament by Subhash Kashyap.
- Class 11 and 12 NCERT textbook of Political Science, especially, ‘Indian Constitution at work’.
- Introduction to the Constitution of India by Durga Das Basu – Good reference book for Supreme Court judgments, but beginners may find it a bit difficult.